This week, South Africa moved to level 2 lockdown level. All around the country, people jumped to their feet and celebrated the relaxing of restrictions and the hope of easing into a new normal.
Understanding that COVID-19 is still a risk, and that vigilance is required, we encourage everyone to celebrate with care.
Celebrating with care
Since the end of March, South Africans have refrained from living their lives as usual. Not only did this mean the ban on the sale of alcohol and cigarettes, the implementation of social distancing and curfew, and the closing of schools, but it meant the shift of life as we know it.
The announcement of level two came on Saturday, 15 August, when President Ramaphosa addressed the nations. While this news has ignited hope in many businesses and excitement about seeing friends and family, it’s important to remain vigilant and act wisely.
As outlined by lockdown level two, there are still restrictions in place. Now, more than ever, it’s important to act with care.
What you can and can’t do
Lockdown level two has allowed for the following new freedoms:
- Interprovincial travel is permitted
- Accommodation is open for leisure purposes (as long as social distancing is practiced)
- Restaurants are allowed to operate and sell alcohol (within limited times)
- Cigarettes sales are legal
- Religious and funeral gatherings are permitted (and restricted to 50 people or less)
- Visits with family and friends are permitted (with the advice to exercise caution)
However, there are still certain restrictions:
- International travel is prohibited
- No spectators at sporting events
- Curfew remains between 10 pm and 4 am
- Masks remain mandatory
- Everyone is encouraged to stay at home when possible, especially those that are over the age of 60 or have underlying health conditions
Don’t forget your mask
Masks continue to be mandatory when in public spaces. This practice serves as an important safety measure to protect both yourself and those around you from COVID-19.
Why not celebrate the start of level two with a brand new, colourful and funky Mzansi Mask? You can browse our available stock online. If you order before the end of August 2020, we’ll even include a free gift!